Many people start with make-up because they want to cover up the problem with their skin. Eh eh WRONG ANSWER! You treat the problem at the root! It’s like someone taking pain killers because their back is hurting without looking at the source. They’re trying to solve a long term problem with a short solution. Mmmkay? Knowing the basics of skincare can save you a lot of trouble with make-up and can help you decide on foundations! There are 5 different basic skin types.
Oily: You wake up in the morning with film of never ending shine! Sticky to the touch and slick. Oily skin is more prone to have white heads and up to cysts.
Dry: can feel rough and tight, and is usually not acne prone. This tightness can be felt even after bathing. Another way to tell if you have dry skin is to take your fingernail and gently run it over your arm or leg. If you leave a line, you have dry skin.
Sensitive: You easily find that your face gets irritated with make-up on or changes in weather. Some reactions are itching, redness, stinging, etc. This one you want to be very careful what you use!
Normal: Oh man,you are lucky! Your skin is for the most part even and is generally free of blemishes or marks. Your pores are normal and you can use most products without worrying about reactions!
Combination: As many ladies of color suffer from.This skin type is a mixture of all of the above. Most find they have a t-zone, where the forehead and nose is oily and the cheeks are dry. Or they have a reverse t-zone. If you have random parts that are sensitive and some parts that are normal, that is also combination too!
Once you discover your skintype you can go from their to the basic parts of developing a skin routine for yourself. These are very important and may vary from person to person but these are the basic steps that should be in everybody’s routine.
1. Cleanser: Washing your face every morning and every night, is a normal thing people do. This is the most basic step! While many people use the same soap they use on your body, they don’t realize that many soaps that they use on their bodies are much harsher on the skin on your face. The skin on your face is sensitive! The harsh chemicals in the bar is way to much for your face. Seek a cleanser, natural soap for multiple uses, or a bar that is specifically for your face! Cleansing your face gets rid of the dirt that is built up from the day from a multitude of things and it gets rid of the oil from your pillows and sheets at night. It opens your pores preparing you for the second part in a regular skincare routine!
2. Toner: Toner is the key to getting even skin. Many people just think it’s meant to use to remove make-up and astringent. EH EH WRONG ANSWER! A toner, not only gives your skin an even look but it gets rid of the left over residue from your cleanser and prepares your skin for your next step. Skipping this step or not having a step like this can really affect your skin. It really strips the left over dirt a cleanser may miss! So you won’t be putting layers of build up on your face. You’ll start with a fresh skin every time!
3. Moisturizers: For the love of god, invest in an amazing moisturizer! The ultimate moisturizer is water really, a perfect example of this would be when you get out of the shower it is best to put lotion or body oil on moist/damp body! It absorbs and seals into the skin leaving baby soft feeling. The same thing goes with your face, a cleanser cleans your face from dirt, if you don’t put anything after on it especially using a toner your face will be dry and tight. The toner softens your skin with more water/moisture and putting on the moisturizer right after seals in the moisturizer! It’s a very important step ESPECIALLY AT NIGHT! The night is when you sleep and your skin regenerates itself. The moisturizer seeps into your pores sealing in that moisture you already have and adding. Invest in a good moisturizer and having a heavier one at night helps amazingly!
4. Scrub: Adding a scrub into your routine definitely benefits you! Sometimes using a cleanser is not enough, a scrub sheds that layer of old dead skin on your face and brightens it! You should NOT use a scrub everyday unless it’s a daily scrub. Use a scrub twice a week! If it’s an intense scrub you want to use that once a week.
5. Mask: Masks are awesome! Some are really intense, some are soft. Everybody can benefit from a mask! But if this is your first time using one, it shouldn’t be your first time. Start your skincare routine first then after about a week or two introduce your mask once a week. If you start out with a mask first, it will bring everything to the forefront and all your pimples will purge itself! If you can deal with the pimples go right ahead!
Some other skincare practices to keep in mind!
*Eye creams, or things for puffy eyes. It is awesome to use these at night and in the morning to have a simple one! The skin around your eyes is very very delicate, so using an eye cream that’s heavy with moisture is definitely success.
*Lips balms! Real heavy lips balms at night keep your lips soft and kissable! Invest invest invest!
*Sunscreen is an amazing product and even as women of color we should use some. No matter how much pigmentation you have, you always can get skin cancer or burning! Getting a moisturizer with SPF is a great great alternative inside of getting a sunscreen by itself. If you have one by itself put it on in the morning right after your moisturizer!
*The oil cleansing method! You can read about Here
*Drinks lots of water, sugars and artificial chemicals/sugars add to the body creating toxins within. Drinking water helps flush those out and detoxify the body.
Product Description: A gorgeous collection of FUN, SHIMMERING, METALLIC shades with brush applicator that adds sparkle to your eyes. Made with ultra fine powders for long lasting, radiant color. Applies on smoothly with INTENSE color!